Easter Weekend Didn’t Go as Planned


I had some good intentions and plans made for Easter weekend.  It was a three-day weekend with my boys being out of school on Friday.  I needed to go shopping to get grocery’s for the weekends festivities.  I had planned on looking for some “church” clothes for me and the boys.   The boys were looking forward to decorating eggs and making cupcakes.   We all looked forward to hanging out the friends on Saturday and family on Sunday.  Friday came and nothing really went as expected.My mom was going to watch the boys for a little while on Friday while I did some shopping.  After I started getting around that morning, I realized I wasn’t feeling so great, so I changed my plans.  I still took my boys to my moms, but decided to just go to Wal-Mart and get what I absolutely needed.  I really didn’t feel like shopping.  While I was at Wal-Mart, I begin to recognize my not feeling well as the onset of a migraine.  Trust me when I say Wal-Mart is not the place to be when you start feeling dizzy and nauseated.  I apparently wasn’t the only person who had waited until two days before Easter to do my shopping because the place was packed and the Easter stuff was completely picked over.  Anyway, an hour and a half later and a chunk of my checking account gone, I was out of there.

I went home to unload the grocery’s and put away the items I had bought for Easter (Easter bunny stuff).  Upon my arrival I would find another unplanned hiccup in my day.  My outside kitty, Tiger, was in labor with her third litter of kittens in the past year.  She was obviously expecting and from previous experience I knew it was going to be soon.  Not this weekend soon.  You might be thinking I should have gotten her fixed.   Yes, I know this and believe me (as I now have four kittens on my front porch) I wish I would have.  However, I didn’t want to get her fixed during the winter because she is an outside cat and I didn’t want her to recover from surgery in the freezing weather (that we didn’t have).  Watching her contract and deliver made me feel so bad for her.  (You might find my previous post about this subject interesting http://realhousewifeofosagecounty.com/2011/10/26/when-it-comes-to-having-babies-im-glad-im-not-a-cat/ )

After I made sure she was doing all right, I went to pick up the boys (who were soooo excited that we had baby kitty’s at home).  By the time we get home my head was hurting.  I had promised the boys we would dye eggs when we got home but managed to strike a deal for some quiet time first.  After some rest (which is sort of a joke with five and seven year old boys) , I finally gave in and we decorated the eggs.  I had previously bought a cute kit from Target to use to make the eggs.  Crazy me envisioned following the direction and  using the items in the kit as they were intended to be used.  Not sure why I thought we would suddenly have a logical and methodical approach to such a project.  In the end they didn’t turn out to bad, maybe even a bit cute.  My house on the other hand smelled like vinegar and boiled eggs for two days.  That evening I was given yet another surprise when my husband came home from work and told the boys and was taking them to the movies.  That meant a bowl of cereal for dinner and couch time for me, which was perfect.

Saturday my migraine was in full explosion mode.  I knew it was going to be a full day, maybe two, before I could kick the headache (that’s with medicine).  The boys had gotten home late from the movies the night before so they were tired anyway, and it was a raining.   The rain just added to our “we’re tired so let’s do as little as possible” day.  I didn’t have to feel guilty about not going to the local egg hunt events because it was raining.  I still managed to make two dozen cupcakes with the boys and do a little bit of cleaning.  Saturday evening we went to a friend’s house to house to hang out for a bit.  Although, the day hadn’t gone as planned, it wasn’t a total loss either.

By the time we got home Saturday night my head was pounding.  I felt lite headed, dizzy and very nauseous.  It was a sleepless night and when I woke up (or rather was woken up at 6:30 by a very excited youngster) I wasn’t feeling much better.  I told my husband I wasn’t sure how I was going to do church.  Much to my relief he told me not to worry about it.  He would take the boys so I could rest (he earned some points for this).  We got up to check out the goodies left by the Easter bunny and got everyone ready for church.  I got some much-needed rest while my crew was gone and the rest of the day went mostly as planned.  I say mostly because I was drugged and in a fog for most of it.  We went to lunch at my parents and hunted eggs there.  Spent the afternoon at home creating a never-ending sugar high for the boys and hunted eggs in our backyard.  Then we went to my in-laws for dinner and yet another egg hunt with cousins.  We ended our day on the couch watching America’s Funniest Home Videos and trying to sugar detox before bedtime.

The boys with our bestfriend's girls at our church egg hunt.

The boys with our bestfriend's girls at our church egg hunt.

Zach and his dad, Joe, hunting eggs at my in-laws.

The weather and my migraine put a few kinks in our plans, but Easter weekend was still spent as we intended it too.  We were with the people who mean the most to us, our family and friends, eating, laughing, arguing and being thankful for our blessing and from whom they flow.

(This is a link to a blog I wrote last year about my thoughts on Easter http://realhousewifeofosagecounty.com/2011/04/23/is-the-easter-bunny-real/)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s